Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Traumatic Tuesday

(Previously posted on www.tidewatermommies.com/forum. Some contents edited for comedic relief!)

Today we decided to go fishing instead of heading up to Water Country. I don't know WHOSE idea it was,(it was Balla's) but I would have much rather spent the day, stress free, than deal with baiting hooks and dialing 9-1-1. Yes, I said dialing 9-1-1. Did you know that you don't get a signal on the Little Creek base out by Gator Pool? Nope. And trying to scream into a cell phone while your kid is hurt at someone who just can't hear you, yeah. So, let me set it up for you!

We got our poles together and headed to WalMart around 9am to get some worms, ice and drinks and then headed out to the base. We made camp out at Seal Park at the lake and bait up our poles. It was about 930a by the time we started fishing. It was humid and we were getting bites but NOTHING. About 10a, Syd caught the SMALLEST fish I have seen!!! Balla showed her how to get it off the hook then how to kick the thing in the water because it freaked her out once she got it off the hook. The kids continued to bait their hooks after losing numerous worms. Jayson I think was sick of baiting his hook because I was watching him just cast out over and over and over and SNAG! SCREAM! Yep. He caught something alright! He caught Syd right in her eye! Balla and I were on the bank fishing so we had to drop our poles and run to the dock so no one would rip out the hook. Jayson dropped his pole and just started screaming that he didn't do it on purpose and he was sorry and he was a mess. What almost 5yr old kid wouldn't be! That fish was HUGE! LMFAO! Balla cut the line off the hook and looked to see if he could just pull the hook out but nope. It was in there pretty good. So I started to call 9-1-1 while he picked up Syd and took her to the truck. When I called the stupid 9-1-1 it connected me to Norfolk but we were in Virginia Beach. WTF?? So they connected me to VB and they couldn't even hear me. Balla was about to leave me and the other two kids at the beach and I was like HELL NO! So we left EVERYTHING and took her to Boone Clinic hoping to 1. not get pulled over (he was going like 50mph ON BASE!) and 2. be able to get help when we get there since Boone was under renovation. We get there and have no clue where to go. Syd's eye is bleeding and she says she feels dizzy. Balla, A.K.A. best dad in the WORLD, picks her up and we go in. I stop a lady at the pharmacy and ask "Is there a place we can go? My kid has a hook in her eye." That was all it took for them to help us.

All in all it was a wonderful experience. We went to the prime clinic and some LT took us right to a room. They numbed up her eye lid and tried to get it out without cutting it. He had to make a small cut to get the hook out. She didn't get any stitches, just 2 steri strips but she did get a tetanus shot. She was a trooper. It was harder on us than it was on her. The two little ones were all upset too and we had have them taken outside the room. So from the time we left the house (9am ish) until the time we left the clinic (1130a ish) we were out for a total of 2 1/2hrs. We fished for about an hour...we caught nothing worth writing about. (And here I sit, blogging about it!) I wish I would have taken a picture while they were workin on her eye for her scrapbook. She would have loved to have that. So Sydnie is not allowed to swim for a week now. But at least she still has her eye sight!

I must say that I have THE BEST husband in the world. He is the BEST DAD in the world too. He acted on instinct and took care of Syd like she was his own when biologically she is not. I thanked him today at dinner and he asked why. I told him for being a good dad. He looked at me like I was on crack and said "Why? Because I make the best burgers in the world?" and then winked at me and kissed me. He then proceeded to give Sydnie another high five and tell her how proud he was of her today for being so brave. I love him!!


2 comments:

Polly said...

Oh goodness! I'm glad she's ok. She is a trooper!

CrystalChick said...

Whew, so glad to hear your sweet girl is okay!
And Kudos to hubby too. Nice picture, loving couple! :)